Thursday, April 30, 2009

Doing my (very small/likely irrelevant) part to encourage people to go to Mexico

Mexico is going through a rough couple of weeks with this swine influenza. As soon as this 24-hour news network induced panic subsides, I assume that their tourism industry will continue to struggle.

I don't, however, know how people could resist going to a place that has such amazing food! I remember being in Playa del Carmen several years ago. It was 6 a.m, and the locals were all huddled around small food carts scattered around the centre of town. The smells were wonderful, and the taste even better. I love REAL Mexican food - as opposed to Tex-Mex, which usually puts people off Mexican food. That is a real shame.

So I've decided to take this opportunity of being home with my family (and having access to a new grill!) to make casual Mexican dinner for them. Last week I made fish tacos, which were incredible. That time, I used cornmeal dredged and fried pieces of Red Snapper. They were so good, that I decided to give them a go again, but this time, I used grilled wild cod. Here's what I did:

Meat: Wild Cod (But any firm white salt-water fish will do - Halibut, Snapper, Grouper, etc.)

Veg: Tomatoes, cabbage, onion

Herb/Spice: Cilantro, garlic, limes, salt, and pepper, fresh jalapenos

Garnishes/Fixins: Flour or Corn tortillas (the smaller the better), Pretty much everything above except the fish is a garnish (or will be made into a garnish)



What do to:

1. Make a "Pico de Gallo" aka Fresh tomato salsa: Chop and seed the tomatoes, and throw them in a bowl

2. Finely dice the onion, and jalapeno, and chop the cilantro - add to the tomatoes

3. Squeeze the juice of a couple of limes into the salsa

4. Salt and pepper to taste (Pretty much everything here is added to taste) - Set aside for at least 15 minutes to let flavours combine

5. Shred the cabbage

Photo: (Shredded cabbage, guacamole, cilantro, limes, jalapenos, and Pico de Gallo)


6. Mince a few cloves of garlic, and mix with the juice of a lime or two, and some salt and pepper - use this to marinate the fish (Not for more than 10 minutes, or the lime juice will "cook" the fish)

Photo: Marinade without the fish


7. Remove fish from the marinade, put on a hot grill and cook until fish flakes easily with a fork.



8. Time to put together your fish tacos! - freshen up the tortillas if necessary, and then add some a couple small pieces of fish, some cabbage, a spoonful of Pico de Gallo, and any more cilantro, jalapenos, or lime if you so desire. Wrap it or roll and the get up in them fish tacos!!




These are a classic, and delicious in my mind. I served them with some homemade guacamole (avocado, tomato, garlic, lime, salt and pepper mixed up) and chips (you can also eat any of your left over fresh salsa!), and some nice cerveza (I bought Sol and Negra Modelo - I LOVE Dos Equis, but the Beer Store was out).



Try it! Also, you can make a nice lime/garlic mayo to go on them if you want too. And if you don't have a grill, the cornmeal fried way is pretty traditional. If you don't like frying, just sear of the fish in a pan with bit of oil.

ALSO! If you like Mexican food, stay tuned for my first attempt at making my FAVOURITE Mexican dish: Mole Poblano. I just got a variety of dried chiles, which I've never been able to get before. This should come within a week or so!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris, You should come and cook for us sometime. You sound like an expert....
    We also need a cook at the cottage this summer - can't promise what the wages would be??
    Say hi to your parents for me (Suzanne).

    ReplyDelete