Sunday, May 24, 2009

An Entry from the "Road": Where to dine at Toronto's Pearson Int'l Airport (Terminal 1)

Now I've spent my fair share of time at the Toronto airport. For the past six years, anytime I've flown home to Sault Ste. Marie, I've had at least an hour lay over in Toronto. And even on days like today, where I'm just a tad early at the airport for my flight back to Winnipeg, I like to eat!

I've patronized most of the dining and drinking options in Terminal 1, which is where you'll be if you fly anywhere on Air Canada. So here is what you have to choose from, and what I've thought of them as airport dining options.

The Exchange Cafe - 2.8/5

This the place I eat at the most, mainly due to its proximity to the gates where Soo flights tend to go from. I go there often enough that one of the waitresses knows me!

The menu is pretty limited, so I usually just go with the burger, which comes topped with bacon, cheese, tomato, lettuce and onion, and fries on the side. The burgers are ok, but fries are quite delicious. I've also had the steak sandwich there, which essentially is a whole, but moderately sized sirloin sitting on a bun topped with grilled peppers and onions. Its not great, but its not terrible either. Other things on the menu include pizza, some wraps, some soups, etc. The main dishes tend to be priced between $10 and $20.

There is a full bar, but the on tap beer. Selection is limited to Molson Canadian, Coors Light, and Rickard's Red. The domestic beer is about $9 a pint.

Hogtown Bar and Grill - 2.9/5

Hogtown's menu is very similar to the Exchange's. There may be some slight variations, but I'm pretty sure the food is the same. I've been there twice, and both times had the burger and fries. I don't think I could tell the difference. One thing they do have, which the Exchange doesn't, is a bit of sushi. I haven't tried it, but it looks alright for pre-made sushi.

The bar service at Hogtown is also the same as the Exchange.

One benefit of Hogtown is that it is in a really nice and open part of the terminal. The seating is out in the open, and just fenced off, so it's great for people watching. Also, if it's daytime, the sun shines through the 100 foot high glass ceiling.

Prices are on par with other places reviewed here.

Casey's On Stage - 2.8/5

I just at Casey's for the first time today. It offers a nice change from the previous two eateries. The menu is much larger, and even the things that are the same, such as the bacon-cheese burger (which I had... mainly for comparison), are a bit different.

The menu at Casey's offers lunch-type fare, such as sandwiches and burgers, but also has bigger, more dinner oriented dishes like ribs, steaks, pasta, and seafood. Additionally, the on-tap beer selections is a bit more diverse, adding Alexander Keith's and Stella Artois to the mix.

The bacon-cheese burger at Casey's had potential to be better than anything else I've had at the airport, but in the end, 'm not sure what to think. The burger seemed to be more "real" at Casey's, ingredient-wise, but its preparation wasn't that good. The way in which it was assembled basically cooked the lettuce (I guess it was right next to the hot burger). Furthermore, the "toasted bun," which was relatively fresh kaiser roll, was a bit soggy. The french fries were also way way under par, compared with those at Hogtown and the Exchange.

Overall I was not impressed, but because of the greater variety of dishes on the menu, I could see myself trying it out again. But if I want a burger, I'll be going somewhere else.

Prices at Casey's were about the same as the other two.


Now these three places don't represent every dining option in Terminal 1, but they are three of the maybe four or five "full service" restaurants available. These are the ones you will be close to if you are flying domestically on Air Canada. There are a few other smaller cafes and bars as well as the other restaurants that I have not tried out yet.

I don't know what it is, but I can't resist sitting down for a beer and a bite when I'm in this airport. Even if the food is mediocre at best, there is something about it that can make a weary traveler very happy.

I will update this post when I eat at some of the other eateries, during future lay overs.

Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment